We’ve all met those people, you know…the ones you just can’t stand to be around. They’re generally self-absorbed, obsessed with their own opinions, judgemental, and have an answer for literally everything. I just thought I’d air my thoughts on some of the people I’ve met and how their behavior has prompted me to view them and, yes…myself. So…here goes…How to stop being an asshole:
- Keep your opinions to yourself.
- You aren’t the only person with feelings here.
- Whether or not something is ugly, pretty, beautiful, etc., happens to be your personal, subjective opinion…just sayin’.
- Think before you open your mouth.
- Didn’t anyone ever teach you manners?
- A little respect goes a long way.
- Everyone deserves respect, whether you like them or not.
- The world doesn’t revolve around you, your wants, or your needs.
Mostly, the biggest way to stop being an asshole, is to understand that we really aren’t all that different. We don’t have the ability to see inside each other’s minds, to understand the hurt that we inflict on one another with our hatefulness. In short, people that are assholes often don’t KNOW they’re being assholes! I find that to be truly sad. Why anyone would want to blindly plunder through the pages of life like an uncouth caveman is beyond me. We can all do a little better, I believe. And yes, I can be quite an asshole myself. I’m not proud of that fact, and I strive each day to atone for those moments that I forget my manners. I also strive each day to point the finger at myself, to know my part in each situation that is unseemly. Anyway…no one is ever perfect…right? Here’s to trying to be just a little bit better every day.